Thursday, November 24, 2011

Christmas on a Tight Budget

After losing my job a few years ago we had to make some major cut-backs. One of them was Christmas. We have a very strict budget of $100 per kid, which nowadays does not buy much. While we may go over a few dollars, I do my best to only spend the allotted amount. It takes some creative spending and planning, but it is possible! Here are a few tips for people with limited funds:

1. Shop all year round. Clearance sales happen all the time, and this is the best way to score more stuff for less money. This is harder as kids get older, as I am learning with my 5-year-old. His tastes change quickly and he wants the newest things. But if you have littler kids it is much easier. My toddler is too young to care about the newest toys, so I can still shop early for him.

2. Black Friday is your friend. For those harder to please kids who want the newest toys, check the Black Friday sales. They tend to have new stuff at great prices, and I am working to get those deals posted. Plan ahead and you can pick up some good deals.

3. Take advantage of freebies. You know all those free credits I post on here? I use a lot of those for Christmas presents for my kids. I can usually get things for free or close to it, and they make fine presents. For example, I got a free Nerf Gun for my son back in January by taking advantage of the Hasbro free toy deal. I also picked up some cute wall stickers for my toddler with the Totsy credit I posted about earlier in the year. This is how I fill in the gaps of a low budget.

4. Use coupons! Watch for coupons from toy companies and save them to use during a sale.

Anyone can do these things, if you have a little discipline and forethought. I hope you all have a great holiday season and keep saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment